Welcome to my trail blog for my 2009 Appalachian Trail Hike! Here you can find all of my journal entries of my 2178.3 mile journey from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine. You can see my picture slideshow to the right, as well as a recap of my hike mile by mile and gear list. Download the ebook about my hike on iTunes. I hope you find my quest inspiring. Thanks for visiting and Happy Trails!

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Quick update from Stratton ME

Hi all! Sorry for the delay in uploading my blog. I am in Stratton, ME with 187 miles left to go. I'm still hanging with Panama Red and we have picked up a new friend in EKG. The past five days, we have slackpacked from Andover to here and we will be slacking again on Wednesday as well (surpassing the 2000 mile mark and getting up and over Bigelow Mountain). Once we clear that hurtle, it's fairly smooth sailing to Katahdin (in terms of elevation gain/loss... miles are still miles). We are shooting to finish on July 18, so we need to average about 18 miles a day, which is definitely doable. Unfortunately, my SPOT has broken, so you won't be able to watch me climb Katahdin, but I promise to post all of the journal entries, photos, videos, and a bunch of other stuff after July 18th. I won't have time to upload much between here and there. The weather has been wet (no surprise there), but we are keeping our fingers crossed for sunny skies as we near Katahdin. We got our first glimpse of her from the top of Saddleback on Monday, though she was really far away. So that's the news. I sent my full journal home and got a fresh one a couple days ago, so look for the July 1-5 entries soon. Thanks to everyone for your support. I really needed it through the crappy New England weather. On to Katahdin!

~Jolly Rancher

12 comments:

  1. Keep it up Harvey good work. I have spent many years travelling to Stratton as a kid. Beautiful country. Whre are you staying? White wolf? Great food.

    nofences

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JR, Just a quick note to let you know the Fearless Four summited on 1st July, in some fairly decent weather, shock horror!! Any how, got some photos of you that i can send you, so drop me an e-mail "tom.topcat@gmail.com". Good luck with the rest of your hike! best wishes to Panama also.
    PacMan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann (Harvey's Mum )July 10, 2009 at 5:44 PM

    Good luck Harvey. Hope the weather has improved. We're willing you on and sending our very best wishes. You'll soon be home :)
    Love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Harvey!!! Thank you so much for posting all of your notes for everyone to read while you were on this journey! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll soon be home as I'm slogging my way through NH and Maine. Come back South and join me through it! You know you want to hike the AT all over again.
    I'm in Manchester Center tonight and it is pouring. I'll be hitting you up for tons of advice once you are finished. Take care Screaming Banshee! ~ Steamboat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I've been researching the trail for about a month now and plan on heading up in March 2010. Your blog and youtube channel are HUGELY inspirational and educational. Thank you very very much for keeping a detailed log!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hell Yeah JR!!!!!!! Almost done! How'd Harley handle the Whites? ...I wondered how he'd do on all that slippery, dangerous, B.S., while I was falling down it, and nearly getting killed!!!!! I finished on the 4th with Blue! Tell Panama I said What's Up! peace kid,
    DUBS

    here are some of my pics
    http://picasaweb.google.com/danielRfoxx/AppalachianTrailThruhike?feat=directlink

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harvey--

    Wow! The journey is almost at an end. It was fun to watch your progress along the way.

    Enjoy the final days of the hike of a lifetime!

    Slim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harvey/JR -- Kudos as you near the end. If you are on track you may be summitting tomorrow. Hope the weather is spectacular as you ascend the final climb. Can't wait to read your entries and see the pictures since I have followed your journey from the start. Thanks for sharing your incredible journey; a journey of a lifetime. Hope Harley/Kneecaps is able to summit with you!
    Happy Trails!!
    Julie (from VA)

    ps - Jared, aka, Tinkercell, was not able to return to the trail this season ... his time will come though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gig is up we know you dropped your spot in the kennebec. :) Happy finishes.

    Chert and Grizzly Adams

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harvey - Congratulations! By the time you see this you will have summited - maybe tomorrow? Hope Harley will join you for the ultimate finish! Can't wait to read about the final leg in Maine -- Edie

    ReplyDelete
  12. JR, Been following your blog since the beginning. Congrats on the big day. A huge accomplishment!

    nicholas

    ReplyDelete