Welcome to my trail blog for my 2009 Appalachian Trail Hike! Here you can find all of my journal entries of my 2178.3 mile journey from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine. You can see my picture slideshow to the right, as well as a recap of my hike mile by mile and gear list. Download the ebook about my hike on iTunes. I hope you find my quest inspiring. Thanks for visiting and Happy Trails!

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Black Horse Gap to Waynesboro, VA 4/13/2009-4/17/2009

Thanks everyone for following my blog. I'm getting pretty close to the halfway point (Harpers Ferry, WV) which is a big milestone on the AT. If you enjoy reading about my adventures, please consider making a donation to the Red Cross through my site (Just click on the "Donate!" button on the right side of this page) or scheduling a blood donation. Thanks very much to those who have already contributed. I hope that the spring time weather gives everyone a chance to get outside and shake those winter blues!

Photos: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2491622930104728652fYCBUt

4/13/2009 - 8:35 PM - Bryant Ridge Shelter - 17.4 mi today - 750.4 mi total

Woke up at 7AM and started organizing my food and packing my bag in the hotel room. It all fits in much better now that I have switched out the Ridgerest for the new Thermarest that Dad bought. The hotel breakfast was excellent. I had mini-omelettes, pancakes, sausage, a bagel, yogurt, and orange juice. We definitely got our moneys worth. Finally got packed up and decided to go to the outfitter to buy a pair of Superfeet (aftermarket insoles...they make a huge difference!), but they were closed. My socks weren't quite dry after washing them in the sink last night, so we hung them out the window of the car as we drove around town. That drew a couple funny looks. Went to the coffee shop and decided to go to Walmart to pick up a couple odds and ends. Got a couple dry sacks, carabiners, webbing and more Easter candy. Cadbury Mini-eggs are my guilty pleasure. Finally hit the trail at 11 after Dad made an adjustment to Harley's pack. Said our goodbyes and I started to crank out the miles. Took a picture at Harveys Knob Overlook. Stopped for lunch at Bobblets Gap Shelter (nice privy!). Felt a bit homesick after saying goodbye to Dad. We did have a really good time on the trail together. Hit the trail again at 1:30. Cruised most of the day. Met a couple ladies that thru-hiked in 2007. Got to the shelter at 6:30 and decided to stay. This shelter is massive (built for 20) but I am the only person here. Cooked dinner, pumped water, and got ready for tomorrow. Hoping to do big miles so I can catch up to the "Fearless Five minus one." Set my alarm for 6:30. Hopefully I'll hit the trail at 7. Thermarest is very comfy. Harley is sleeping on the Ridgerest until I can catch up with Pacman (He may switch his out as his has a puncture). Feeling a bit lonely and homesick. Tonight is the first night that I have been alone.

4/14/2009 - 9:20 PM - Johns Hollow Shelter - 26.6 mi today - 777.0 mi total

Alarm went off at 6:30, but there was no way I was getting up. Thermarest was way too comfy. Woke up an hour later when a turkey hunter stopped by the shelter and asked me if I had seen any "gobblers" around (I'm still in my sleeping bag, dude...). A little too early in the morning for me to comprehend that there were more people like him running around in the forest clucking like turkeys with rifles over their shoulders (he demonstrated his turkey cluck). That was pretty good breakfast entertainment. Left the shelter at 8:30. Made sure Harley stayed close to me all day. Foggy and rainy, so no views today. Somehow, Harley caught a chipmunk about 5 miles in. Since then he has been sniffing every downed tree and hole in the ground. Pretty major hill climbing this morning. Had lunch at Thunder Hill Shelter after walking under the Guillotine (a rock that is precariously stuck between two boulders... of course the trail goes right underneath it). Got to Marble Spring at 4:45 and decided to kick it up a notch so I could push mast Matts Creek Shelter to Johns Hollow Shelter. Shins started to hurt on one of the downhill switchbacks. Tried to stretch them out and took some vitamin I. Met a trail maintainer from New Jersey at Matts Creek. I asked him how the trail was to the next shelter and he gave me a detailed description through Burlington, Vermont including where I should resupply along the way. James River had an almost perfect reflection when I crossed it. No wind at all today. Made for humid conditions. Fearless Five are only 9 miles ahead I think. Maybe catch them tomorrow. Probably the next day. Harley is snoring again.

4/15/2009 - 9:45 PM - Salt Log Gap - 28.6 mi today - 805.6 mi total

Got up at 6:45 and was on the trail at 7:30. The section hiker I shared the shelter with packed out my trash. Started with a pretty good climb and again found myself in the fog. Not too many views today. Had lunch at Punchbowl Shelter where I met a work crew from the Natural Bridge Appalachian Trail Club installing a brand new privy. I was the first to use it. Never before have I had my picture taken or hand shaken just for doing my business. (Check out the picture here: http://mikerieleyspics.shutterfly.com/231) I also got some trail magic (an apple). Nice to eat some fresh fruit. In the shelter log, I found that the Fearless Five left me a challenge... I have to get to Pizza Hut in Waynesboro for dinner on Friday night. Little do they know that I am right on their tail and was already planning to get to Waynesboro on Friday. Still is a long hike. Decided to eat dinner early so I wouldn't have to cook in the dark at the end of the day. Had mac and cheese at Brown Mountain Shelter and pumped water too. Major climb from there to Bald Knob. Had a bit of a view on the way up, but not much. Decided to bypass Cow Camp Gap Shelter as it is .6 miles off the trail. Walked for about an hour in the dark with my headlamp before I decided that it was too foggy and wet to continue. Set up the tent in Salt Log Gap and ate some GORP and Mini-eggs to fill my tummy. Now just about to brush my teeth and go to bed. Shooting for Maupin Field Shelter tomorrow (26 miles). Hope to catch the guys there as I think I am only 5 miles behind. Looking forward to better weather.

4/16/2009 - 9:30 PM - Maupin Field Shelter - 26.1 mi today - 831.7 mi total

Alarm went off at 6:15. Caught a nice sunrise at 6:45 and hit the trail at 7:15. Was pretty flat to start. Had a snack at Seeley Woodworth Shelter and met a group that had stayed with the Fearless Five last night. Told me that I was only about an hour behind them. Checked out the view at Spy Rock and ate lunch at the Priest Shelter. Nice spot and beautiful weather. Enjoyed the sunshine. Nice to have a clear day after three days of fog. Big downhill off of the Priest. Got to a trail intersection where I could have cut off 4 miles and potentially got ahead of the other guys. I thought about it for a half second, and then continued on the AT. I guess I am a purist. I'm not going to yellow blaze like that. Once you break the rule once, its much easier to break it again. Had a snack break at Harpers Creek Shelter and met a section hiker named Steps. Big climb to finish the day with some nice views. Took a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDhpMdSMXVM
Rolled into Maupin Field Shelter at sunset to wild applause from Chert, Grizzly Adams, Wally, and Pacman. Glad to see everyone again. We all exchanged stories and got caught up on the latest trail news over dinner. Waynesboro tomorrow. Glad to be back with the crew.

4/17/2009 - 10:15 PM - Waynesboro, VA - 20.8 mi today - 852.5 total

Got up at 7:15 and on the trail by 8:30. Was able to take a late start as we only had 20 miles to hike today. (Can't believe I just said that!) Still was a tough day as the other guys hike at a faster pace than I usually do. Struggled to keep up in the morning. Harley had no problem. Had lunch at Humpback Rocks. Tried to clear out my foodbag to make room for the maildrop I will be getting from the Post Office. Still have a little Easter Candy stashed away. Afternoon flew by. Hiked fast to Paul Wolfe Shelter, took a nice hour long break, and then hiked fast to Rockfish Gap. Arrived at 5:30. Called a local trail angel for a ride. Checked in at the YMCA (they let us camp on their grounds and shower for free!). Set up the tent and wandered into town. As I was setting up the tent, I took my shirt off for a bit. It was so covered in sweat that it stood up in its original shape all my itself. Yikes! Decided to eat at the Ming Garden Chinese Buffet because the Pizza Hut was only AYCE(all you can eat) salad, not pizza. That was not your average buffet! They had crablegs, sushi, shrimp and mussels in addition to an impressive spread of other foods. We all thoroughly stuffed ourselves (21 plates between 5 people). Chert and I almost ate too much (both of us were sweating pretty good). Only cost $14 per person. Amazing! Here's a video of us waling back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5EaVsrli3g
We strolled back to the campsite and I split off to call home from the payphone in the YMCA lobby. There were kids everywhere running around screaming. Gave me a headache after a while. Now just getting ready for bed. Lots to do tomorrow (shower, library, Post Office, laundry, etc.). Not sure if I will zero or not. Depends on how long the chores take. Apparently the local Kiwanis Club is having a $5 pancake breakfast tomorrow at a church down the street (Jackpot!). Don't want to think about food now, but tomorrow morning, I should be in the mood again.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Jolly Rancher Awesome picture of you sat on the edge bet Mum was well pleased, still the trees did not seem too far below. What a great adventure,we follow the spot every day and can hardly wait for the next instalments on your blog. Can you walk a little faster so we don't have to wait so long between entries ha!ha! only joking. Keep it going Harv it is just brilliant.
    Roland $ Janexxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harvey - we can't believe the progress you are making and hope to see you soon. We live not far from Front Royal and the N. VA portion of the trail. Please call home 703-449-0603 or cell 703-499-0107 so we can offer some off trail hospitality. Edie

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW-- I *JUST* missed you. I was on a small section hike and stayed at the Punchbowl Mountain Shelter on April 16th. The new privy was big news. I think that is hilarious that the first person to use that privy was sitting in my Google Reader RSS feeds at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harvey,
    Our offer of a meal, shower, shuttle still stands when you reach Snicker's Gap at Rt. 7. Contact numbers are 540-338-5689 (home) and 540-454-7148 (cell). Looking forward to meeting you and Harley -- my cats may be less enthused on the Harley part though!! Happy hiking!
    Julie
    5garlands@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jolly Rancher,
    What's shaking brother? I'm making it back to the trail Saturday AM. My doctor wants me to wait another two weeks, but I have zero time to spare if I want to finish. You are way too far ahead for me to ever catch up, so I wanted to tell you that I was honored to hike with you for five weeks. I had a great time and I miss Harley. I appreciate all the encouragement your family provided me and I hope you all will still keep up with me on the trail. I'm a bit bummed I won't be running into you, the Brits, Wes or anyone else from the gang again. I doubt those who are falling me are nearly as cool. Drop me a line from time to time. Also, leave me some notes in the trail journals and give me some advice on what's coming up next. Take care amigo. I hope to see you again along the trail. ~ Steamboat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there!

    I'm a friend of your Mum's. And my dream has been and is to hike the AT. Thanks for sharing your and Harley's experiences. Give Harley a big pat from me.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, Jolly Rancher. I wanted to give you a shout out on your webpage after meeting you this past weekend. We met in between Mt Clay and Mt Washington in the middle of a lightening storm. (I'm the one who's open pocket zipper you pointed out, thank you). My group was headed the opposite direction on a Presi Traverse. Now I'm back in my sheltered office looking out my window at the rainy weather; I'd trade places with you any day.

    There's nothing like the northeast rock rubble piles. Add rain to the mix (all that moss and lichen!) and you've got a challenge. But you're blowing pretty quickly through those mountains given the horrible weather! Impressive!

    Enjoy the remainder of your hike.

    -Marcia

    ReplyDelete