Welcome to my trail blog for my 2009 Appalachian Trail Hike! Here you can find all of my journal entries of my 2178.3 mile journey from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine. You can see my picture slideshow to the right, as well as a recap of my hike mile by mile and gear list. Download the ebook about my hike on iTunes. I hope you find my quest inspiring. Thanks for visiting and Happy Trails!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Introductions


Welcome again everybody to my blog. I think I have it set up the way I want. I added the FirstGiving link on the right hand side last night. I also uploaded my gear list complete with pictures (just click on the item that you want to see and it links you to my webshots account). This list will likely be tweaked as I go along, but right now my base weight, sans food and water is around 17 pounds! Pretty darn good!

I thought that I should give everyone a proper introduction to the main characters of this adventure, namely Harvey and Harley. I am Harvey. I just graduated from Cornell University this past December with a BS in Human Biology, Health & Society. Basically that is a fancy name for pre-med. I have applied to med schools for this fall, but unfortunately have not been interviewed anywhere to this point. This is one of the reasons I am taking this trip. I want to step back from the world, get in touch with myself and reevaluate my options. I need to decide if medicine is really the path I want to take. Maybe there is something better out there for me. Only time will tell. Enough with the Debbie Downer stuff, time to talk about the other character that you will undoubtedly be readin about, Harley.

Harley is a 1 and a half year old Yellow Lab/Coonhound mix. My family adopted him from the Ithaca SPCA last summer and he has quickly become a member of the family. He can get into mischeif quickly, but is a loyal and loving dog. He has tons of energy and is ready to hit the trail. Above is a picture of him in the tent I took with my phone. A couple of days ago, I set up the tent in the basement to introduce him to it. We slept in it overnight, and in the morning he liked it so much that he didn't want to get out. I had to start collapsing it on him in order to get him to leave. Hopefully that won't be a regular occurence on the trail.

Today I also experiemented more with the food dehydrator. Hopefully that will turn out well. I have already made beef jerky and turkey jerky earlier this week. Today I experimented with fruits and New England Clam Chowder. Hopefully I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Also tomorrow, my good friend from my days in Boy Scout Troop 129 is going to interview me for the Brighton-Pittsford Post. He writes for them now, so hopefully I'll get a cool article that will encourage people to follow my journey through this site. Well it's exteremly late now, so I am going to bed. Happy Trails.

1 comment:

  1. HI, I was a member of the class of 2008. I'd highly recommend you rethinking making a lot of trail food and send it to yourself. There are plenty of towns along the way that will allow you to resupply. Also what you purchase now may get OLD real quick on the trail. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete