Welcome to my trail blog for my 2009 Appalachian Trail Hike! Here you can find all of my journal entries of my 2178.3 mile journey from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine. You can see my picture slideshow to the right, as well as a recap of my hike mile by mile and gear list. Download the ebook about my hike on iTunes. I hope you find my quest inspiring. Thanks for visiting and Happy Trails!

Friday, January 30, 2009

Food planning

So I didn't get as much done today as I thought I would. I was hoping to plan out all the mail drops so that I could start to figure out the menus. Instead, I went shopping at BJ's and a local natural food market with Mom. We got a lot of stuff to start putting the packages together, including GORP ingredients, instant oatmeal, fruits to dehydrate, and six pounds of ground beef to make some more jerky. I'll put some jerky in the dehydrator tonight before I go to bed so it will be ready in the morning. At this point I have no idea how much the food bill is going to be, but I am making steady progress. This is just one of those things I am going to have to learn through experience, like many things to come.

Apart from shopping, I was able to resume my workout schedule. I hit the Stair Master at the YMCA and did some weightlifting after. It felt really good to get a solid workout in. Hopefully I will get a good hike in over the weekend so we can try out Harley's new pack. On Monday, I'll be back to pilates and spinning class. I go with Mom twice a week as it's really good cross-training. I am one of only two guys in the pilates class, the other is a nice old man named Sam. He saw me warming up today and wanted to know why I had skipped class. I promised him I would be back on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment