Welcome to my trail blog for my 2009 Appalachian Trail Hike! Here you can find all of my journal entries of my 2178.3 mile journey from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine. You can see my picture slideshow to the right, as well as a recap of my hike mile by mile and gear list. Download the ebook about my hike on iTunes. I hope you find my quest inspiring. Thanks for visiting and Happy Trails!

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Less than three weeks!

Sunday was the first of February, meaning that I leave in less than three weeks! I have so much to do before I leave (plan the menus and package up the food drops), but I know that these couple weeks will fly by and soon I will be on the trail.

Harley's new pack came last Friday. It is definitely an upgrade over the previous model. Originally I bought a Kelty Chuckwagon from REI, but after a couple test hikes, a hole developed where the leash attaches to it because he had been pulling so hard. Luckily REI has a GREAT return policy and gave me a full refund no questions asked. Instead I bought the Ruff Wear Pallisades II pack from geartrade.com for cheaper than the Kelty. It had a broken clip, so they had to sell it at a significant discount. After replacing the clip which cost me one dollar, I had a brand new pack for $35! It seems to fit him better as well and I really like the fact that the bag can be detached from the harness. Hopefully we will get out to Mendon Ponds Park on Thursday for a hike.

Apart from that, I am working hard with mom to come up with the menu plan. I have all of the mail drops planned out, now we just need to package them up with enough food. I'll post the mail drop schedule for all to see. I think that the hardest part is going to be rationing out the food because I have no idea how much food will sustain me on the trail. I know that I will want to eat like crazy because I will be burning 4000+ calories a day. We have the dehydrator going non-stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment