Welcome to my trail blog for my 2009 Appalachian Trail Hike! Here you can find all of my journal entries of my 2178.3 mile journey from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine. You can see my picture slideshow to the right, as well as a recap of my hike mile by mile and gear list. Download the ebook about my hike on iTunes. I hope you find my quest inspiring. Thanks for visiting and Happy Trails!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Change of plan

My parents and I decided that it would be best if I started the trip without Harley until I am north of the Smokies. It makes a lot of sense. This means I get to hike the entire trail (instead of simply skipping the Smokies like I had planned before. It also allows me to adjust to trail life on my own without having to worry about the dog. The only thing that worries me is that I will lose the connection I have with him during the three weeks I am away from him. Since I returned home from college, we have spent a lot of time together and we have grown used to having each other around. He gets quite upset when I leave the house to run errands as he sits by the door waiting for my return. I guess that is what we have to deal with. There are only three sections of the AT that don't allow dogs: the Smokies, a one mile stretch in New York where the trail passes through a zoo, and the finish in Baxter State Park in Maine. The zoo in New York has another trail that circumvents the stretch, and now thanks to my parents, I have the other two areas sorted out as well. Dad is going to drive him down on March 14. This also means that the first three weeks of my schedule are set in stone. I don't have to follow my plan exactly, but I do have to cover about 235 miles in three weeks. Hopefully I am up for the test. I have updated my itinerary to reflect the changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment