Welcome to my trail blog for my 2009 Appalachian Trail Hike! Here you can find all of my journal entries of my 2178.3 mile journey from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine. You can see my picture slideshow to the right, as well as a recap of my hike mile by mile and gear list. Download the ebook about my hike on iTunes. I hope you find my quest inspiring. Thanks for visiting and Happy Trails!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

One day to go...

Wow I can't believe that I only have one more day to finalize everything. I will get it all done, but there are so many loose ends I need to tie up tomorrow, in addition to completing my last pre-hike workout with Mom at the Y. The past few days have been a blur. I had a great weekend up in Maine visiting Rachel and all of her roommates. On the way home, I stopped by Skidmore to visit my friend from high school Derek. He drew me the most complicated map ever showing how to get to I-90, but it worked! I was also able to try out my SPOT satellite messenger which I will be carrying on the hike.

Since getting back to Rochester, I have been packaging up food like crazy. Mom and I put together about 35 dinners tonight. We are using some recipes from a couple of books that I got for Christmas, but towards the end, we were just throwing ingredients together and making it up. It's more fun that way. It's a time consuming process. I also tried out one of the recipes tonight using my backpacking kitchen. It worked pretty well, though the food was a bit bland. Because of that, Mom and I were adding spices and flavoring to each entree. Tomorrow, I need to go shopping so I can put some more dinners together and then get everything boxed up. I have all the food planned and packaged up to Shenandoah National Park (850 miles down, 1328 to go).

So thats the news for now. Thanks everyone for all the supportive emails and facebook messages I have been getting. Hopefully this blog will be a tool for reflection for me and a source of inspiration for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment