Welcome to my trail blog for my 2009 Appalachian Trail Hike! Here you can find all of my journal entries of my 2178.3 mile journey from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine. You can see my picture slideshow to the right, as well as a recap of my hike mile by mile and gear list. Download the ebook about my hike on iTunes. I hope you find my quest inspiring. Thanks for visiting and Happy Trails!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Opening Thoughts

I am 21 years old, recently graduated from Cornell, have a wonderful loving family and girlfriend, and am about to embark into the adult world. Why, in the prime of life with my future awaiting me would I decide to escape to the woods for six months with only my dog for companionship?
Even as I sit here making preparations for the trip, it seems like an impossible task that only fools would chase. And yet it appeals to me. Perhaps I am a fool after all.
A month ago at my college graduation, the President of the University challenged myself and the other new graduates in the room to "lead the life of the traveler, not the tourist." Although I have a plan, I do not know where this adventure will take me or where I will finish (Maine hopefully). All I know now is that I am about to embark on the journey of a lifetime. Hopefully, with self-reflection through this journal, I will learn more about myself and document my experiences for all to enjoy. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment